Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pimp My Blog: Cheap Indie Author Spotlight

Hello All,

Looks like we've found our first brave author to take me up on my offer.

Georgia Ann Banks-Martin
is a poet who got her book published through a small press. Please give her a warm welcome and feel free to ask questions or comment.




1. Tell us about your book(s).

My book, Rhapsody for Lessons Learned or Remembered, is a collection of ekphrastic(art inspired)poems. The inspiration art represents work created by African-Americans, Americans, Europeans, and Asians. Most of the poems are of a collage nature, blending historical facts, and memoir. It is currently ready for ordering from my publisher's(Plain View Press) webpage:http://www.plainviewpress.net/gallery2/pages/Rhapsody-For-Lessons-Learned-Or-Remembered.html


2. How did you go about getting your book published?

The first draft of my collection was completed as my M.F.A. thesis. While I was working toward graduation I started compiling a list of possible publishers based on ads and listings that appear on websites such as Poets and Writers, publishers I encounter at book festivals, writers conferences, books that were being published which were similar to my collection, and recommendations from friends.

When I was ready to send out my final manuscript I narrowed the list to five and followed the submission guidelines provided by the publisher.


3. Tell us about your marketing strategies.

My marketing strategies include:

  • Maintaining my author's webpage:http://georgiabanksmartin.com
  • The creation of a Facebook Fan Page: http://artist.to/georgiaannbanks-martin
  • Holding public poetry readings at poetry festivals, bookstore, libraries, colleges and universities
  • Reading and signing books at the The Association of Writers & Writing Programs(AWP) Conference in Washington D.C. next month
  • Appearing on blogs and blog talk radio shows


4. What's the best advice you could give to new writers who want to get published?

  • Make sure your work is well edited
  • Make sure you follow all agent/publisher submission requirements


5. What are you reading?

Leaving Gee's Bend by Irene Latham


Who's got next?

If you're an author (indie, small press, or major publisher) who would like to be featured, please contact me at karla (at) klbradywrites (dot) com. Answer the questions and provide me with your book cover(s) and author photos.

Hope you enjoy. New content is coming up soon so don't delay!

Visit my website at www.authorklbrady.com




3 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you Georgia! Where can we buy your book? Is it offered in ebook formats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhapsody for Lessons Learned or Remembered can be purchased by clicking the link that appears below the cover image.

    ReplyDelete

NO ADVERTISING. THEY WILL BE DELETED. BUT YOU CAN PUT YOUR BUSINESS NAME AND TITLE IN YOUR SIGNATURE.