Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pimp My Blog: Cheap Indie Author Spotlight

Hello All,

Next on the Cheap Indie Author Spotlight is Daniel A. Roberts, a self-published author who writes about my favorite topic... L'amor. (I think that's "love" in somebody's language. Probably mine.) Please feel free to comment or ask questions about his writing/publishing process.


1. Tell us about your book(s).

Passion Of The Different is a Romantic Fantasy. I wrote this book to tell a fun, loving story about two different people from two different worlds, the culture shock differences and how they resolve them. It has the basic expectations of a Romance and while the book does resolve itself in a happy ending way as expected, this also leads into the upcoming sequel that's being released on 2/10/2011. I enjoy entertaining people, there's a lot to be taken from the fact I've made people smile and laugh all in the same book. Because I created a new world with a new people, my creativity was allowed to flow. There are elements of their society we won't agree on, but then, who lives in a perfect world? Dealing with those differences while doing the right thing as well as falling in love - that's a book I can have fun writing. So I did. (Attached is the thumb picture of my cover)

2. How did you go about getting your book published?

I explored so many avenues and there were so many crazy options, but I eventually found Smashwords. They give an author all the choices and control and they organize the distribution. It's a win-win situation for anybody who wants to publish an ebook. Even the comissions as better and I intend to make a living off of my writing. As an Independent Author, I'm not given a formula and told how to write my story and what limits I have. That is killing creativity in my opinion.


3. Tell us about your marketing strategies.

I use Facebook and my own personal profile. That's an excellent start. I also use Twitter. I have an account with Google Adwords and Bing Adsense. I do a pay per click and I set the budget so I'm not buried in bills. My books show up on Barnes and Noble dot com and the Apple iBook store and Kobo and Diesel and other retailers, I do my best to get this out to the public through my friends as well. I also do Youtube videos promoting my book, as well as my own website at http://www.thepassiontrilogy.com/ And I use the Romance Studio as well. People who like Romance go there looking for things to read, and I try not to let them down.


4. What's the best advice you could give to new writers who want to get published?

Don't be afraid to be proactive. You get back what you put into it. Talk to publishers and agents if you must, but have they yet put your excellent and best work in front of people who will be willing to pay for it? If the answer is no, consider going to Smashwords and trying them out. They have a promotion guide and it's free. Lots of good stuff in there. It's kinda cool to get a letter from an agent telling you why he can't represent you, and then you go to your email and get notified you just earned another hundred bucks in sales. His cut is in your pocket instead. It's a win-win situation for the author.


5. What are you reading? (I added this question to give every author the opportunity to lend to support to other authors coming up in the ranks like we are.)

Special Parent, Special Child by Tom Sullivan. I have an Autistic daughter (very low functioning) and it's good to know my wife and I aren't alone in the drama to raise a child with such a disability.

1 comment:

  1. Daniel,

    I'm glad to feature you on the site.

    I have a question about how you advertise on Google Adwords and Bing Sense. I don't know anyone else personally who has tried that system. (including me)

    What does your book ad say? How do you choose who you'll target? And how well is it working for you? Do you get a lot of click-throughs?

    ReplyDelete

NO ADVERTISING. THEY WILL BE DELETED. BUT YOU CAN PUT YOUR BUSINESS NAME AND TITLE IN YOUR SIGNATURE.